Sunday, March 8, 2009

Ghetto is in the eyes of the beholder

It came to my attention the other day, that the way I see my neighbourhood is a little tainted - on the positive side. While others see thugs hangin' in the doorway of Dunkin Donuts, I see my neighbours. When others shudder at the fact we have to exit the subway using a different exit (thanks to a man lying at the bottom of the stair with two police officers standing over him shaking their heads) well I see a chance to walk a little longer in the fresh air.

Where we live says more about us than we know. What we put up with is perhaps even more telling. I wouldn't say that any of these things bother me, it's just another day on Sugar Hill really. Would I rather live in Trump Towers? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I do know that in Harlem there is always going to be something to talk about and that to me, is never a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment