Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Poland: They won't let me buy bananas

It's somewhat of a ritual for me. Exploring grocery stores may seem mundane for some, for me it's like heading to culinary Disneyland. There are other worlds out there with produce so weird and wonderful that a trip overseas would not be complete without purchasing at least a few goodies. My motto: see what the locals eat, do what the locals do and try with all your might to fit in. This has proven to work for and against me.

Each country undoubtedly has its own grocery shopping protocol. As I headed to "Real" mega-market in Lodz I catiously entered, prepared to battle the inevitable language barrier, flamboyant packaging and foreign food goods, if of course I could find them. There were washing machines and blenders, socks and stockings, makeup and medicine. As I wandered the aisles I feared I might never find the food.

There were cabbages on sale, kiwi fruit on offer. Endless amounts of cheese and meats, fresh fish and diary. I played it safe and grabbed a couple of bananas and other snacks. I hate to admit it, but I actually found a giant packet of Cheetos which found their way into my basket as well.

I checked my watch. I had only minutes before my driver would transport me to fashion week. I lined up and waited to battle the final frontier, the checkout.

The cashier, much like grocery cashiers the world over, was not overly pleasant and scanned my goods with an unenthusiastic vibe. Cheese, check. Salami, check. Nuts, check. Mega packet of Cheetos, check. Bananas, stop.

She held up the bananas and said something to me in Polish. From her tone, I'd obviously done something wrong.
When I explained I can't speak Polish she proceeded to confiscate my bananas. Shaking them at me first to bring hom her point - whatever that was.
I acquiesced and let her have my bananas. But why? Was I not allowed to break off two bananas? Did I need to put them in a bag? Was it because she thought I was American? Are Americans not allowed to buy bananas in Poland? All of these questions and more popped into my head as I paid and waited for a plastic bag to pack my groceries.

And waited...

Turns out there are no plastic bags in Poland. So I gathered my cheese, salami, cheetos, water and nuts and stuffed them into my $500 Ro Bag. Still none the wiser why my bananas had been confiscated. I actually really wanted them.
Turns out, you have to weigh them yourself before getting to the cashier. A handy note to us all. Write it down in your travel journal for the next time you grocery shop in Poland!

No comments:

Post a Comment