Monday, May 31, 2010

OPUS MONTREAL: Stylish digs for the hip

Ah, Montréal. I forgot everyone speaks French here. It seems as if I have been politely ignoring the entire population over the last fews month as I find myself in foreign countries with no idea what anyone is saying. Add to my confusion that the first thing I hear upon entering my gorgeous room in the Opus Hotel is Kylie Minogue’s “Locomotion.” Being an Australian/New Yorker in French/English speaking Montreal this can get a little confusing.


Having finally come to grips with it all, I did my initial room inspection and found all the amenities I so love; a coffee machine, nice sized bathroom, L’Occitane products, modern décor and fabulous bar awaiting us downstairs. The only slightly misleading amenity being the complimentary wireless which, like many hotels these days, is only in the common areas.

One of the only Canadian hotel chains, Opus has four hotels within Canada. The Montreal addition is two years old and has quickly made a name for itself as the place-to-be on weekends — possibly the reason for the ear plugs next to the bed. Situated on the corner of Saint Laurent, one of Montreal's trendiest streets, it's perfectly situated for a weekend getaway.

Settling down for a quick nap pre-meet and greet, I flicked through the hotel’s encyclopaedia of amenities and found a great addition: “The Tips” sheet listing the most happening events for the month. Using fictional lifestyle muses; Billy, the enlightened rockstar, Susan, the fashion exec, Pierre, the food critic, Dede, the film actress and Mike, the doctor it outlines five off the must-see hip happenings around town. Written by Zink Canada editor, Simona Rabinovitch it gives you an insiders guide to the city of Montreal something all of us need on a trip away.

1 comment:

  1. A hostel that offers private rooms, same-gender shared rooms, or mixed-gender shares.

    Pousadas Em Fortaleza

    ReplyDelete