Sunday, April 19, 2009

BEHIND THE BOOK SERIES

In our 'Behind the Book' Series, you get to meet the people, behind the book.

“As I arrived my sister ran out. She hugged me tight, tears in her eyes. I thought she might never let go.” - Sunshine On Sugar Hill by Angela Gilltrap (www.abcshop.com.au)

INTRODUCING MY SISTA - starring in several pivotal chapters throughout the book

She’s my sister by choice not birth, she is the one that makes me laugh and cry, threatens never to let go when I head for the airport and is always amused by my funny stories. I totally adore her and despite her protests each time I head back to Sugar Hill I know she supports whatever crazy adventure I choose to undertake. She has listened sympathetically as I tried to piece together the story of my life over the last two years. For that and much more I thank her. In the words of the great Austin Powers ‘you complete me’.

What do you love the most about your Sista?
As she mentioned above, she makes me laugh out loud. We know each other so well, there is no pretending with each other. What you see is what you get. She knows all my secrets and still loves me.

Was it weird to read about yourself?

Totally, I had to explain to everyone (that I was telling about the book) about our “sista” relationship. She isn’t my blood sister, we have known each other nearly as long though. We are as close, if not closer then what families are.

Do you think I did you justice?

Yes. There are small snippets of our conversations and annual celebrations that the book has covered. It wasn’t about me or our relationship and the content that you read does do me justice.

What was your favourite chapter (yes it can be the one with you in it)?

I must admit I do love the “Home is where to heart is chapter” and not just because I am in it, but also because, we see Angela when she arrives home and embrace her, feed her, love her and then have to let her go all over again, we never see what she has to go through to get here and the heartache she goes through leaving. And also what she faces on arrival home to ‘sugar hill’. It was humbling and I really loved the private thoughts and struggles she goes through.

Any words of advice for people who are contemplating spending the $32.95 on groceries rather than ‘Sunshine on Sugar Hill’?

Go and buy it and support an Aussie talent that has worked hard all her life. Have a good laugh, cry and read at another person’s experience. She is living her dream and it’s exciting to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment