Wednesday, April 8, 2009

BEHIND THE BOOK SERIES

In our 'Behind the Book' Series, you get to meet the people behind the book.

“By 10 a.m. Jen and I were seated in our usual place, Paris Le-Go. It was our ‘Central Perk’.” - Sunshine On Sugar Hill by Angela Gilltrap (www.abcshop.com.au)


INTRODUCING JEN Starring in chapter 5 - Moving on up

I’m sure Jen wouldn’t mind letting you know that her real name is actually ‘Jennifer’. We had been flat-mates for about three years when I packed up and moved to Harlem. There simply wasn’t enough room in the book to write all the good times and hysterical experiences we shared at Club 525; the crazy coffee, the road trips to Byron, the Beach Road shenanigans and the competitions for the coveted prize of ‘Worst Gig I Did Today’. A year ago she came to visit me on Sugar Hill. I miss her dearly and always chanel a Jen-dance-off when times are tough.

So what is crazy coffee?

A very funny experience, ending in a sweaty anxious come down…..basically when you don’t know how much coffee to add to a plunger if your coffee looks like black tar you may have added too much. Although for at least an hour you can get so much work done.

Is it true that birds starting eating my bedroom window?


Yes absolutely, they almost pecked it out of the wall if I remember correctly……I’m in that room now and they have not come back – ever. I was never sure what you were doing to bring the birds – bird woman…

What’s the best thing about living in Bondi?

Easy, the perve factor, when summer hits there is an incredible influx of backpackers. There is nothing better than hanging out on the grass near the showers just before sunset discreetly perving on the travelers coming up from the water. There is also the gorgeous beach, relaxed vibe, clothes shopping on Gould Street, great food and coffee, when you move to Bondi you never want to leave the suburb.

Where you sad when I left – come on tell the truth?

Of course, my partner in crime, gone, I was devastated. Thankfully you left me your couch, fridge, television, toaster, kettle and even an iron at a very reasonable price so I managed to get by……without these everyday items and you gone club 525 would have been very bare, and uncomfortable.

What did you think of Sugar Hill?

Well, it was very different from Bondi…. I loved my visit, saw a lot of Sugar Hill in the very early hours of the morning thanks to jet lag……I did always feel a little out of place in my sundresses, but was fine when we were together as you seemed to have the neighbourhood on your side. The day I woke early and wanted to surprise you with grocery shopping, went out on my own and was asked ever so politely ‘Hey whats up princess…..Hey….Hey!…Hey! Little white princes doesn’t wanna talk to us’ by a group of men that looked like Law and Order characters in a line up, I think I moved down town that day. But I remember you assured me they were just wanting to chat with me. But again I loved my visit, Sugar Hill has a lot of character.

When are you coming back to visit?

I was hoping to go on another trip this year, but I’m afraid I can’t do another summer with no air-con in my car and so a new car might win….keep you posted.

Love

Jen x

No comments:

Post a Comment