Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The miracle of running water

No, before you delete this post from your inbox I'm not asking for World Vision sponsorship although, if the renovation on my block doesn't stop soon I may well be entitled to it. Yes, I realize that old buildings need to be rejuvenated and I know the downtowners are moving in but sometimes I can't help but think, 'can't you just leave well enough alone!'. Particularly when it comes to taking away my basics (and those of the elderly Mrs. Simon's in apartment 4D).

On one of the hottest days this steamy summer, I found myself with, gasp! horror!, a day off. At home. Without room service. Or a front of house receptionist to listen to my complaints.

I had a revelation that day. A moment of self discovery. I am okay with no couch. I am okay with no TV. I'm okay with no ac but I'm not okay without a fan. I needed one. Quite desperately. Add to my desperation the fact that I was left with no running water.

Which on reflection is quite hilarious for anyone that can imagine me at my home fanning myself with a cheep Chinatown hand held (that I'd bought cause it looked pretty rather than provided any real breeze) in my bikini in Harlem trying every tap in the house like a maniac.

After a long day of others yelling at the problem. Turns out it was a burst water main. Problem fixed 8 hours later. Ah, sweet, sweet running water.

Then the next day, thankful to have water once again, my toilet got possessed by evil ju ju. Yes possessed. With no TV noise to drown out the weird apartment noises I found myself peering cautiously around the bathroom door expecting an evil Gremlin to jump out at me. Seriously it was like a D Grade high school horror film complete with suspense building, gurgling fountain of (thankfully) clean water.

I would like to add here that I still love my apartment and my neighbourhood. I just don't like workman who once again, turned off our running water from 8am to 6pm. It's a simple thing in life, running water and exorcised toilets. But people when you wake tomorrow and you brush your teeth under the free flowing h2O be thankful. Say a prayer and hope the toilet demon doesn't visit your bathroom anytime soon.

1 comment:

  1. I've had the same problem before here in my apartment... My toilet though seemed to be making so much commotion because it had a shampoo bottle down it (yep that's what I found out when I was a new resident - couldn't believe it).

    ReplyDelete