Thursday, March 25, 2010

André Leon Talley at Yale

I must admit I had a bit of a Legally Blonde moment inches away from the Law Department at Yale yesterday. In the course of my life, it's not somewhere I expected to be anytime soon.

The sun was out, the Yale sweatshirts were in abundance as I headed to the Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library to hear all things "Talley" for Polish Fashion mag, Viva Moda. An enthusiastic crowd of budding fashionistas quickly filled the state-of-the-art building, designed by architect Gordon Bunshaft.

"My life aim is to be one of Anna Wintour's gays," was possibly my favorite snippet overheard from the front rows.

"Don't annoy him, talk to his people," was another piece of advice dished out for those wanting a pre-talk photo.



As the crowd descended into silent awe with the approach of Vogue's larger than life, Editor-at-Large, the curator's quest for an indepth talk on the socio-economic ramifications on his life, was soon over ridden by Talley's no-nonsense approach. Thank goodness!

An inspiring talk on life, fashion, the quest for inspiration and respecting one's roots, made the 4 hour round trip well-worth it. For those in Poland, watch out for the feature to come. For those in Manhattan, get to Yale one time in your life, it's totally worth the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment