Monday, May 4, 2009

The Preferred Airport

After weeks at airports, home is a much sought after destination. Particularly when you remember how great it is to be a New Yorker (be that an adopted one).

La Guardia, 1hr from my house, is my preferred airport. It's important to know your preference when others are booking your travel. JFK is okay, La Guardia preferred but please don't send me to Newark!

The Airport

Everyone in New York has this 'preferred airport' information. Mainly because many of use take public transportation to the airport. La Guardia for me means one bus, the M60 directly to the airport at a cost of $2 or if you have an all-you-can-eat metro card, free.

The Dilemma
Hoping on the M60 I was mortified to find my all-you-can-eat card had expired. A particularly big dilemma in NY public transportation as you have to pay the fare ($2) in quarters. Gathering this kind of shrapnel is rather difficult on a moving bus with luggage in tow.

"Listen, what do you want me to do?" I asked the bus driver politely, holding my $2 in bills up to show him I had the cash.

"Hold up," he then grabbed his speaker phone and announced to the rest of the passengers. "Does anyone have change?"

And just like that my fellow passengers came to my aid. Everyone from the old lady at the front to the dude at the back offered their card, cash and quarters.

In the end I accepted a lady's all-you-can-eat card as she was heading overseas. It expires in three days. I offered her my $2 which she refused to accept better still, it's good until Wednesday.

The Moral

The kindness of strangers cannot be underestimated so next time someone looks to you for a helping hand feel free to give it. We all need a helping hand sometimes.

Shout Out

I'd just like to send a special shout out to Emerson Williams one of the nicest airport bus drivers around.

No comments:

Post a Comment